Take a break from measuring! Make life easy on yourself for once. This Elote Salad is meant to be easy for summertime. For a quarter cup, use two dollops, one cup of herbs is a good stuffed handful. Cheese, well, it’s always to taste anyways, am I right? 🙂 Taste and season as you go, always, please.
- 6 ears of fresh corn on the cob, shucked
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 red bell pepper, in large strips (so they won’t fall through grill, or use a grill pan)
- 1 poblano pepper, cut in large strips
- 1/2 bunch scallions, white part (see below)
- 2 oz. Cotija cheese, crumbled (or finely crumbled feta)
- 1/2 bunch scallions, green part (see above)
- 1 Serrano chili, (or jalapeño) thinly sliced (or any chili paste would work, use about 1-2 tablespoons)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise (or you may use Mexican crema)
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1–2 canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, finely minced
- Juice of 1 limes + zest* (zest is optional)
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
Prepare a grill for medium-high heat.
Shuck corn on the cob and remove silk. Rub the corn and peppers with oil, sprinkle the veg with a little salt.
Put the corn and peppers directly on the grill (or if using grill pan for the peppers) turning occasionally, until kernels and peppers are charred all around, 12–18 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and leave until cool enough to handle.
Use a sharp knife to remove kernels (you should have around 6 cups). Return corn to a large bowl. Chop the peppers into small pieces and toss with corn and white part of scallion.
To make the dressing: In a medium bowl, add scallions (green part), serrano chili, mayo, garlic, cilantro, chipotle pepper (+ a little of the sauce), lime juice (and zest if using) and mix well. Season with kosher salt and pepper as needed. Drizzle over the veg and top with cotija cheese.
This salad will happily store in your fridge for a few days. Nibble and enjoy the taste of summer, all week long!
*always zest citrus before cutting and juicing. It’s almost impossible (or darn near!) to zest once cut.
Keywords: Grilled Elote Corn Salad, Mexican Street Corn Salad, Mexican Elote Corn, Street corn, cheese, corn salad, corn on the cob, grilled, mexican, side