This is the yummiest sandwich condiment ever. Only a few ingredients and some time on the stove, and it’s ready. It keeps for a long time in the fridge too.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium red onions (about 2 1/4 lbs. pre-peeled), peeled and thinly sliced*
- 2 shallots (large, about 4 oz. pre-peeled), sliced
- 1 jalapeño (or long red chili), seeded and minced (or you can use 1/2–1 teaspoon of red chili flakes)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper (about 20 cranks) or to taste
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- Heat the olive oil on medium-low heat in a large, heavy-bottomed pan. Add the onions, shallots, jalapeño, and bay leaf to the pan, add salt and pepper and stir. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes, checking and stirring often so they don’t burn. Scrape up, and stir in, any brown bits from the bottom of the pan as it cooks.
- Add the vinegars and brown sugar. Stir to combine. Cook on low for another half hour or so until no liquid remains and the onions are dark and rich in color.
- Stir often to prevent the onions from burning.
- Place in glass jars and cool completely. Seal with lids. Refrigerate for up to eight weeks.
Makes about 1 1/2 – 2 cups of chutney
*cut in half from stem to root, then slice thin from stem to root
This recipe works well cut in half or doubled. Cooking times will vary, so keep an eye on it!
Keywords: Easy Red Onion Chutney, Gluten-free, Gluten-free Red Onion Chutney, Red Onion Chutney, Red Onion Chutney with Balsamic Vinegar, Sandwich condiment