Turkey Lettuce Wraps
These wraps are so much tastier than the versions at restaurants, and by making your own sauce (yes, I will give you permission to use purchased peanut sauce!) you are controlling the ingredients. Be sure to read the ingredient labels for any allergens you or your family may have.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4-6
- Category: Main course
- Method: Sauté
- Cuisine: Asian
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil (or any neutral flavored oil)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1″ peeled (see video) and grated fresh ginger
- 1 1/4 lbs lean ground turkey (or ground chicken)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup purchased Asian Peanut Sauce (see recipe in notes below)
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, plus additional soy sauce for dipping
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup fresh mint plus 1/4 cup small mint sprigs, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts, chopped)
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 12 large butter lettuce leaves or romaine
- Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and ginger and sauté until beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Add turkey or chicken and sauté until browned and cooked through, breaking up with the back of a spoon, about 7 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté for one minute.
- Add peanut sauce, hoisin sauce, and 1 tablespoon soy sauce; heat through. (Can be made a day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Reheat in microwave or skillet, adding a few tablespoons of water by if necessary, before continuing.) Stir in cucumber and chopped mint. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer turkey mixture to medium bowl. Place mint sprigs and lettuce leaves on a platter.
- To make wraps, spoon turkey mixture onto lettuce leaves, add a few mint sprigs, shredded carrots, and peanuts. fold in sides over filling, and roll up. Pass additional soy sauce alongside wraps for dipping.
This sauce can be made a day in advance and refrigerated. This sauce stores well (in a jar) in the fridge for a few weeks.
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup very hot water (as needed to thin out the peanut butter)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons juice from 1-2 limes
- 2 tablespoons Asian chili sauce (sweet)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 scallions, white and green parts, sliced thin
Whisk the peanut butter and hot water together in a medium bowl. Stir in the remaining ingredients,
add more water to make the sauce the consistency of a creamy sauce.
Makes about 1 cup
Keywords: asian lettuce wraps, turkey lettuce wraps, lettuce wraps, lettuce wraps recipe, easy, healthy