What’s in the bag? Let that cat out! Okay, not a fan of cats, but I have been working on this recipe for years, I think I’ve got it. And I’m ready to share it with you, thanks for waiting. It’s a granola that’s not too sweet, or fatty, or fake tasting, just pure granola heaven, coming your way. Let’s call it Shelagh’s Granola, after me, thank you.
Make a batch for the cabin this weekend. Try it on some grilled fruit (pineapple is a personal fav, with a dollop of greek yogurt and a dash of real maple syrup, yum). Dessert? Breakfast? Snack? Absolutely.
It’s going to show up in a few more recipes this week, getting ready for the weekend, so stay tuned.
Some other snack recipes for the weekend:
Make this, feel good about what you are eating. It’s good stuff.
- Yield: 24
- Category: Breakfast
- 4 cups uncooked old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup ground flax seed meal
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup unsalted pecan halves
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup La Tourangelle Walnut Oil, Roasted (a neutral flavored oil will also work)
- 2 eggs (or 4 egg whites)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (use the good stuff!)
- 1/4 cup real maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 300.
- Combine all dry ingredients (oats through salt) into a large bowl. It’s much easier to mix in a large bowl.
- Combine wet ingredients (oil through maple syrup) in a smaller bowl, then combine wet and dry and stir very well. Spread on a jelly roll pan (preferrably lined with parchment paper) and bake until granola is golden and crunchy stirring about every 20 minutes. Should take about one hour and 15 minutes.
Makes approx. 24- 1/4 cup servings. If you don’t have the Roasted Walnut Oil, just use a neutral flavored oil, the walnut oil just adds a deliciousness to the granola.
It’s really more about drying out the mixture vs. cooking it. Be sure you can hear the crunchiness when turnign the granola, then you know it’s done. You can also turn off the oven at the end, and leave the pan in for a few more minutes. That helps to dry it out too.
Have a wonderful holiday weeeknd. Don’t let yourself be sent to the S’mores Burn Unit, stay safe.