This Chicken and Black Bean Skillet with Brown Rice dish comes together very quickly if you have beans and rice prepped. The added spinach really amps up the veg quotient. A great tip I’ve been doing for a long time, is adding greens to just about everything I make. The added nutrition won’t hurt anyone, will it!?
I love using dried beans. I’ll put a post together soon, but essentially, here’s what you do.
How to cook dried beans (pretty much any variety)
- Soak about a half pound of beans overnight (if you don’t get to this part, that’s a-okay, just simmer them a little longer)
- Drain the beans the next day, and add to a large pot, cover with about 2″ of fresh water, 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt and one dry bay leaf.
- Simmer for about an hour (or until tender).
- You don’t want to undercook the beans (they won’t rehydrate well in other dishes) and you don’t want to overcook them either. You want them just right. ‘How do I know when they are ‘just right’ you ask? Taste them, that’s how.
These prepared beans freeze really well too. I love reusing those 1-liter deli containers to store food in the freezer. It’s a great amount to have on hand for the a weeks worth of recipes. I also love these containers for freezing cooked brown rice. You could use your leftever rice in my Lemony Brown Rice Salad, it’s great with grilled or roasted chicken.Print
Really clean tasting, yet very filling. If you have beans and rice prepped ahead of time, this dish comes together really quick.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced (white and dark green separated)
- 1 red (or yellow) pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2–3 big handfuls fresh spinach* (don’t panic, it cooks down, a lot!)
- 1–2 cups cubed or shredded cooked chicken (white or dark meat, whatever your preference)
- 2 cups cooked black beans (or one can rinsed and drained black beans)
- 1/2 cup or so of chicken stock (water would be fine too)
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- Juice from one lime
- Sliced avocado (optional)
- Greek yogurt, a dollop on each bowl
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in white part of the green onions, red pepper, and jalapeño (if using) and cook until tender, then, in the last few minutes of cooking add the garlic and handfuls of fresh spinach.
Stir in the chicken, beans, stock, and spinach and season with salt and pepper to taste. When well combined, add the rice, stir to combine. Bring mixture to a simmer and let all the ingredients get all happy together, for about 15 minutes.
Toss in the green parts of onions (no need to cook them down, they add a nice fresh note to the dish), serve in bowls. Top with a dollop of greek yogurt, some sliced avocado and a drizzle of lime juice.
*One cup of fresh spinach is about one big handful, no need to measure everything!
Feel free to omit the chicken if you are vegetarian, it’s still pretty darn yummy. Make it for your Meatless Monday!
Thanks for trying this recipe, how did you like it?
Keywords: Chicken and Black Bean Skillet with Brown Rice, meatless Monday, easy, fast, healthy, gluten-free
Why would you want to make this dish, like tonight?
- quick and easy if you are prepped and ready to go
- healthy and clean eating will make you strong like Popeye…spinach
- very easy to convert to a vegetarian version, give it a try, go meatless!
Thanks for trying this recipe, how did you like it? I’d love to know.