Geez, last week sure got away from me, so Salad Week will be carried over to this week! Reason being that I wanted to re-design the website, you likie? Wanted the site to have a lighter feeling, and I really didn’t like the look of the website from the get-go, but had to plug along with the old format for a bit to learn this new software. Maybe you’ve heard of it, WordPress. Yep, I know feel complete fluent in it (kidding). Actually, I am getting pretty comfortable with it, but as per usual, it’s a work in progress. A huge thank you to Kristie Anderson, my personal photographer :). Kristie is a wonderful and specializes in weddings, families, grads, head shots, you name it.
On to this weeks recipe, and continuing with Salad Week! Brown Rice Salad. Sounds boring, but trust me, it packs a flavor punch. Hopefully you have the herbs needed in your garden. Fresh herbs right outside the back door, can’t get much more local then that!
My sweet sister shared this recipe with me ages ago, I’ve modified it slightly, but mostly, it is inspired by a Moosewood cookbook by Molly Katzen. I’ve tripled the veggies, originally called for, and added feta cheese (great way to use up the feta from the Steak and Sweet Potato Salad recipe) and chicken, but both are completely optional. It’s light and refreshing for these next few days of more heat.
If you’ve never used fennel before, it has the aroma of anise, the crunch of celery and a wonderful light flavor. You can even chop up the fronds (the long stalks, see photo above) and add in with the rest of the herbs. O use celery, if that’s what you have. The only cooking needed is the rice, and sometimes you can even buy that already to go, but do use brown rice, white won’t hold up to the great flavors of this recipe.Print
Lemony Brown Rice Salad
- Yield: 4 Servings plus lunches!
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked brown basmati rice (rinsed and drained)
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic, red wine or cider vinegar
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- Hefty pinch of kosher salt
- Good pinch of fresh ground black pepper
- 1 bunch scallions (green onions) (sliced thin)
- 2 small or 1 large fresh tomato(es) (chopped)
- 1 large red, orange or yellow pepper (chopped)
- 1 cup celery or fennel (diced)
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley (minced)
- 1 cup fresh basil (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts (toasted)
- 2 oz. feta cheese (crumbled)
- 2 grilled chicken breasts (or rotisserie works well too) (diced)
- For the rice: Combine the ingredients in a medium saucepan, bring to a boil then reduce to a very low simmer for about 25-30 minutes until tender. Transfer to a large bowl.
For the dressing: Add the ingredients to a jar and shake well. Add about half to the still warm rice.
Add the chopped veggies and feta to the rice bowl (and chicken if using) combine well. Add the rest of the dressing and toss. Taste it, add salt and pepper if needed. Serve at room temp, or pop in the fridge to chill down. Serve on a bed of greens or lettuce.
If you make this Brown Rice Salad recipe and love it, then take some photos and post them on Instagram. Be sure to tag #sheshedesigns so we can all see. Slainte!