One of the easiest and soon to be most addictive recipes you’ll ever make! Roasted Chickpeas are a great high protein snack or a replacement for croutons in your salad. Don’t worry about storing them, they’ll be gone in no time.
Tips for Roasting Chickpeas
- Use canned chickpeas for speed and convenience
- Be sure to dry them well, or the chickpeas will steam, not roast
- Make a double batch, you wish you had. Flavor with your favorite herbs and spices
- Try something new like an Indian spice blend or Za’tar seasoning
- Or keep them plain with just some salt and pep, can’t go wrong!
Roasted chickpeas would be a great addition to a soup or a grain bowl. Try them with my Turkey Lettuce Wraps, either replacing the turkey, or adding to it. Everyone could use a bit more fiber!
Do try different spice combinations. Chickpeas are very savory, but if you were craving a little something sweet, try adding a little cinnamon sugar? Come on now! I really love Spice House spices and herbs, and they have free shipping if you order the pouches. Plus their packaging is gorgeous!
Three ingredients (four if you add some spice) and so tasty. Don’t skimp on the salt, taste as you go. These chickpeas are the perfect snack or salad topping.
- 1 (15 oz. ) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained (about 1 1/2 cups cooked)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 1/2–1 teaspoon smoked paprika, za’tar, cumin, or curry powder, or any other spices you love (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425° and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper . My toaster oven works perfectly for one can of chickpeas.
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas in a colander.
- Spread the chickpeas on a large tea towel and pat them dry.
- Gather up the edges of the towel and tip the chickpeas onto the rimmed baking sheet . Toss them with olive oil and a generous pinch of kosher salt . Use a good three-finger pinch (use less if using table salt, just two fingers).
- Roast the chickpeas for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Shake the pan occasionally as they roast. All ovens vary, so if your chickpeas are not crispy enough, keep going until they are! (note, they crisp up a bit as they cool).
- Remove from the oven, and while the chickpeas are still warm, toss with pinches of your favorite spices if using.
- Store (completely cooled) roasted chickpeas in a loosely-covered container at room temperature. They are best used within two days. But trust me; they won’t last that long.
• Use your toaster oven, and save on gas!
• Leave the spices off until after roasting or they may burn
• Remove the skins from the chickpeas for extra crispiness. But not necessary.
Keywords: three ingredients roasted chickpeas, roasted chickpeas, chickpea croutons, roasted chickpea snack, protein snack, vegan snack