Strawberry Bang! A riff on my Strawberry Ice Cream recipe from years ago. But this has some adult additions, mainly rum. Nothing to complain about there! But really, it’s not too boozy, not too sweet, and very refreshing. Need I say more?
I wasn’t really sure what to call this drink, so I asked my peeps on social media. Strawberry Bang! really sang to me, I thought it was the perfect title for the perfect summer-time, adult-beverage drink. Thanks Mrs. B!
Ice cream drinks are a great way to end a summer party. Turn off the grill, while you are eating your burgers and dogs, turn on the ice cream maker and get it churning. Yes, it’s dessert, but sometimes these drinks can be cloyingly sweet. With ice cream, you do need sugar in order to fluff up the cream, but I’ve done my best to use the minimal amount. Pomegranate molasses is the keeper here, it’s brings a great refreshing tang.
Why you need to be make these soon?
- It’s like a Wisconsin supper-club in a glass! Who’s with me on this?
- A grown-up way to catch a little buzz after dinner
- Head on over to Twin Spirits Distillery in NE Mpls, women-owned makers of local rum (and other adult beverages), pretty cool, huh!
This ice cream can be a drink or the real-deal, spoonable ice cream variety. The tartness of the pomegranate molasses makes this drink a refreshing summer treat. It’s a great way to use up some of those perfect in-season strawberries too!
- 3 cups strawberries, hulled and chopped (about 1 lb)
- 1/2 cup pomegranate molasses*
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Seeds scraped from half a vanilla bean (or 1 teaspoon of good vanilla extract)
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4–1/3 cup white or brown rum, cold
- 1/2 heavy cream swirled with about 2 teaspoons pom molasses (0ptional)
- Strawberries to garnish (sliced, chopped or just placed on the side of the glass)
- Place strawberries, pomegranate molasses, sugar, salt, and vanilla bean in blender or food processor , stir it around for a minute, then let rest for at least 1/2 hour at room temp, then puree until smooth. Put through a fine-mesh strainer (optional) for a very smooth drink. Mix in half and half, and heavy cream to combine.
- Transfer to quart container, cover, and place in the fridge and chill overnight, for best results.
- Add the mixture to ice cream maker, (be sure to leave enough room for the rum, which you will add at the 15 mark) and churn for about half-hour. Keep in eye on it and at about 15 minutes add the rum. (Follow your ice cream makers instructions and don’t overfill the vessel, it will expand a little bit, so don’t fill to the top)!
- Using a whisk or hand mixer, whip the cream to stiff peaks. Swirl in the pomegranate molasses and top your drink.
*Pomegranate Molasses is an intensely flavored tart syrup made from the pomegranate fruit, not to be mistaken for the typical molasses found in stores, this one packs a tangy punch and is delicious!
Keywords: strawberry ice cream drink, strawberry milkshake, ice cream alcoholic drinks, rum strawberry drink recipe, white rum drinks, not too sweet alcoholic ice cream drink
No trouble finding tasters for the drink, or the ice cream version of this dessert drink. Hurry before the good strawberries are gone! If you are looking for a round-up of local pick your own berries, Family Fun Twin Cities has some great spots picked out.
Other desserts that would be tasty with the addition of a little nip
- Chocolate Pot de Creme: add a little Kahlua to the mixture
- It’s already in this one Guinness Chocolate Mousse
- Heck, add a little of that rum to my Avocado Raspberry Chocolate Smoothie, and you’ve got a meal
Thanks SO much for reading through the recipe. I’d love it if you ever make one of my recipes to let me know, or post a photo on social (that is, provided you were a fan, but I’ll take any constructive criticism, anytime!). I sure do appreciate your support.