Leeks grow wild in Ireland, as do many herbs and wild garlic (close in look and flavor to ramps). We had an entire day of urban foraging while I was at school in Dublin, we headed down to Greystones to meet up with a chef and foragers, Niall and Paul of Nádúr Collective. It was amazing what one can find growing along the side of a road if you know what to look for. Then we went and cooked some amazing meals with the herbs, greens, and grasses we collected.
This time of year, spring is the perfect time to make this light Leek and Potato Soup. I use a waxier potato like Yukon Gold and leave the skins on, since it all gets whizzed in the blender anyway. Pair it with Seedy Brown Bread or Irish Soda Bread, and you are all set.
Ingredients for Leek and Potato Soup:
- leeks, well washed, and some onion
- potatoes, I like a waxy Yukon Gold, to peel or not, your choice
- garlic and fresh thyme
- whole milk
Spring has sprung, and this soup is perfect for the crisper weather.
- 2 tablespoons of delicious, golden, Irish butter
- 2 cups chopped leeks*, white and light green parts (about 2 small leeks)
- 1 onion, chopped (about a cup)
- 4 garlic cloves, whole
- 6 fresh thyme sprigs (tie in a bundle with kitchen twine, so you can fish them out easily)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, about 3, diced (I leave the skins on…)
- 1/4 cup of oats
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg or a few scratches of fresh
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- Heat butter in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the leeks, onions, garlic, and thyme sprigs (you’ll fish them out later), and season with a good pinch of kosher salt, and several grinds of pepper. Sauté for about 10 minutes, stirring often, until softened.
- Stir in the white wine vinegar and Dijon, and cook, stirring, for about 30 seconds, and then add the chicken stock, potatoes and oats. Sprinkle (or grate) in the nutmeg. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes until potatoes are completely tender when pierced with a fork.
- Let cool slightly. Pluck out the thyme sprigs, then transfer the soup to a blender. Blend until smooth. Take care when blending the hot soup, it expands and can go all over your kitchen. Place a towel over the lid, just in case, and work in batches if necessary.
- Return the smooth soup to the pot and add the milk. Return to a simmer, season to taste with more salt and pepper.
Crispy Fried Leeks can be purchased in many grocery stores and are a tasty garnish. Completely optional, of course!
*see the video above on how to clean the grit and sand from your leeks. use the tender white and light green/yellow parts, save the dark, tougher tops for soup stock.
Keywords: Leek and Potato Soup, Irish Leek and Potato Soup, Spring Leek and Potato Soup,
Thanks for stopping by, let me know if you try the recipe, and how you like it!